Updated on February 4, 2024
Amp Error in Google Search Console: What You Need to Know
Amp Error in Google Search Console is a common issue that website owners and SEO professionals encounter. Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is a project by Google that aims to optimize mobile browsing and improve the overall user experience. However, implementing AMP can sometimes lead to errors, which can negatively impact your website’s performance and visibility in search results.
Understanding Amp Errors
When you enable AMP on your website, Google crawls and indexes your AMP pages separately from the regular HTML pages. This means that any errors or issues specific to the AMP pages will be reported in the Google Search Console under the “AMP” section.
Some of the common AMP errors that you may come across include:
- Validation Errors: These errors occur when your AMP pages do not adhere to Google’s guidelines. They can be caused by missing or incorrect markup, improper image sizes, or other structural issues.
- Structured Data Errors: If your AMP pages include structured data markup, errors in the implementation can lead to this type of error. Google uses structured data to better understand and display your content in search results.
- Disallowed URLs: This error appears when a particular URL is not allowed to be served as an AMP page. It could be due to Google’s policy violations, unsupported functionality, or other restrictions.
Impact of Amp Errors
Amp errors can have significant consequences on your website’s visibility and organic traffic. When Google detects errors in your AMP pages, it may decide not to display those pages in the AMP search results carousel or other AMP-specific features. This can lead to a decreased click-through rate and a loss in organic traffic.
Moreover, AMP errors can also affect your website’s overall mobile-friendliness score, which is an important factor in Google’s mobile search rankings. If your AMP pages consistently have errors, it may signal to Google that your website does not provide a satisfactory mobile experience, potentially leading to lower rankings in mobile search results.
Resolving Amp Errors
To fix AMP errors and ensure optimal performance, follow these best practices:
- Regularly Monitor AMP Errors: Check your Google Search Console regularly for any reported AMP errors. Identify the specific issues and take prompt action to resolve them.
- Review Google’s Guidelines: Familiarize yourself with Google’s guidelines for implementing and troubleshooting AMP. Make sure your AMP pages follow all the recommended practices.
- Use Valid AMP HTML: Ensure that your AMP pages use valid AMP HTML, free from any syntax errors. You can use the AMP HTML Validator tool to validate your AMP pages.
- Fix Validation Errors: Address any validation errors reported by the Google Search Console. Modify your AMP markup or fix any image-related issues to comply with the AMP guidelines.
- Verify Structured Data: Double-check the implementation of structured data on your AMP pages. Use Google’s structured data testing tool to validate the markup and fix any errors.
- Review Disallowed URLs: If you encounter disallowed URLs error, review Google’s policies regarding AMP pages and make the necessary adjustments to comply with the guidelines.
The Importance of Amp Optimization
Despite the challenges posed by AMP errors, optimizing your website for AMP can have several benefits:
- Improved Mobile User Experience: AMP ensures faster page load times and a smoother browsing experience. This can lead to increased user engagement and reduced bounce rates.
- Higher Visibility in Search Results: When your AMP pages are error-free and deliver a great user experience, Google is more likely to display them prominently in search results, including the AMP carousel.
- Increased Click-through Rates: Studies have shown that AMP-optimized pages generally achieve higher click-through rates, as they are visually appealing and provide a seamless browsing experience.
- Better Mobile Rankings: By adhering to Google’s AMP guidelines and resolving any errors promptly, you can improve your chances of ranking higher in mobile search results.
Amp errors in Google Search Console can pose challenges for website owners and SEO professionals. However, by diligently monitoring and resolving these errors, you can ensure that your AMP pages deliver optimal performance, improve the mobile user experience, and gain visibility in search results. Taking the time to optimize AMP can ultimately lead to increased organic traffic, higher click-through rates, and improved mobile rankings.
Who is Alizaib Hassan? Alizaib Hassan is a search engine optimization specialist. Alizaib Hassan: Automate SEO-related tasks using Python. Alizaib regularly attends webinars, conferences, and SEO-related events. He focuses on automation, data science, web development, entity-based SEO, marketing, and branding.